The trumpet is a musical instrument. It has the highest register in the brass family.
The trumpet is played by blowing air through almost-closed lips, producing a "buzzing" sound that starts a standing wave vibration in the air column inside the instrument. Since the late 15th century they have primarily been constructed of brass tubing, usually bent twice into a rounded oblong shape.
There are several types of trumpets. The most common is a transposing instrument pitched in B♭ with a tubing length of about 1.48 m (4 ft 10 in). Earlier trumpets did not have valves, but modern instruments generally have either three piston valves or, more rarely, three rotary valves. Each valve increases the length of tubing when engaged, thereby lowering the pitch.
Many wind band compositions call for both a trumpet section and a cornet section. This type of scoring requires soloistic playing skills, particularly if the number of trumpet players in the ensemble is rather small.
A musician who plays the trumpet is called a trumpet player or trumpeter.
As portrayed in Hibike! EuphoniumThere are seven students that play trumpet in Kitauji's Concert Band, including:
- Reina Kousaka
- Kaori Nakaseko- Principal Trumpet
- Yuuko Yoshikawa
- Tomoe Kabe
- Sana Kasano
- Akiko Yoshizawa
- Jyunichi Takino
- Trumpet players are stereotyped as arrogant and flamboyant show-offs who believe their part is the most important part in the band, and are typically the "jocks" of the ensemble.
- The typical trumpet player's self-introduction goes somewhat like this: "Hello, I'm ___. I can play that better than you."
- Trumpets are known for being used in bands and orchestras, but they also has a military component.
- The early precursors to the trumpet-- cornetto and natural trumpet-- did not have valves or keys.
- The bass trumpet, which is rarely used, is most often played by trombonists when it is called for.
- Other variations on the trumpet family include the cornet and flugelhorn. A cornet is a slightly shorter-looking trumpet that produces a more mellow sound.
- Modern trumpets are made from brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc, but the earliest trumpets were made out of many different materials, including conch shells and wood.